Coalition for Social Justice
Location: Southeastern Massachusetts (remote)
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: $19.50/hr plus benefits equivalency stipend
Job 40 hours a week. Work to be performed between now and November 30th 2020 with potential to stay on as permanent FTE.
The Coalition for Social Justice is dedicated to building a grassroots movement for progressive social change viewed through a race and gender lens, rooted in communities that have been excluded from the economic benefits of the current system. We have a dual focus: to recruit and develop leadership, especially from low income communities, and to build effective campaigns that address the economic survival issues that our constituency faces. We build grassroots power through empowering low-income voters, building a large network of volunteers, holding elected officials accountable and building broad coalitions.
Essential Job Functions:
Building a network and executing a strategy for outreach in the SouthCoast. The focus will be on the 2020 U.S. Census and providing voter education in hard-to-count areas in New Bedford, Fall River, and Taunton. Census work to be done between today and September 30, 2020, with voter education continuing until November 30, 2020.
Qualifications: Candidates should possess at least 9 months of previous field organizing experience, a strong commitment to CSJ’s mission, philosophy, issues and grassroots organizing.
- Convene and facilitate the regional Democracy Hub at least twice between the Primary and General Elections and once after the General Election
- Coordinate regional training efforts
- Manage turf coverage with supporting organizations in the region
- Run a high-capacity field program for CSJ (10,000+ attempts, 2,000+ contacts). These field campaigns should integrate voter contact, grassroots organizing on issues and leadership development
- Track all voter contact in VAN, administer VAN committee
- Train and manage 3 outreach workers
Required Attributes and Skills:
- Self-motivation, the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with people from different backgrounds.
- Organizational skills and ability to meet strict deadlines are a must
- Adaptable to changing needs and program priorities
- Ability to work long and irregular hours in a fast paced, metrics- driven work environment
- Flexibility and temperament to work in a constantly changing political environment
- Positive attitude required, humor preferred
- Ability to use technology (smartphones, computers, video conference, online platforms) to communicate
- Spanish or Portuguese fluency
- Previous supervisor/management/lead organizer experience on a issue/political campaign
- Virtual Phone Bank/Hubdialer/ThruText experience
- Social Media Competency
- VAN or Nationbuilder experience
Role will report to Executive Director
Equal Opportunity Policy:
Coalition for Social Justice is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Coalition for Social Justice abides by applicable federal and state constitutional and statutory processes mandating equal opportunity, including but not limited to the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, state and federal Family and Medical Leave Acts, the American with Disabilities Act and other relevant statutes.
Send a resume and informal cover letter about your interest to Deb Fastino, Executive Director at email@example.com.